Friday, April 12, 2013

Concentration Written Commentary


                The main idea of my concentration series is the abstraction of animals. Different animals have different body structures that make them unique. I wanted to express a certain area of the animal. The series has a connection with me because I love animals and their personalities. The elements I chose to use were rule of thirds, value and contrast, point of view, and macro.

            The work in my series explores animals in abstracted ways. I started with close up shown in the first six photos. In the first photo I took a close up of a rooster's eye. Not only was it a photos close up, but it also had extreme texture. You can see the little feathers growing around the eye. My second groupings of four photos utilized figure ground. The second photo in this grouping is of chicken talons. The background also gives you wonder of where it was taken. With the final photos I took them onto Photoshop to increase the contrast to make the colors pop. I also blurred certain areas to give the main object more emphasis. The main principle of design used in my series was abstraction; also the movement in the photos gave it a mood that the viewer will find pleasing.  Rule of thirds was also used in some of my photos giving me a well-rounded series. My final closing images are diptychs of a human and a chicken face put together. I put them together to make the beak and nose match up together giving a sense of unity. My final closing image is of myself and my canine companion merged together becoming one.  Animals and humans were once brothers and sisters. It now feels as if humans see ownership, instead of companionship with them, when in reality we are all alike, only speaking different languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment